I get asked about my swimming all the time, people ask me what my
workout routine is and when I get to the swimmer portion I always hear
"oh its so good for you, its the best exercise!" While I agree that it
is amazing in so many ways it is a challenging explanation when people
are using it to get in shape and find they aren't getting tone or making
a difference in their bodies. They say to me "oh you must do it
everyday" and i don't.
YES swimming is non impact and in that way great for the joints and can use all the muscles of the body together BUT one must pull the water and actively increase resistance in the water "from" the water in order to make a difference. Many people are looking to get a workout in the pool because of the little stress on joints, and say "I swim and it's so relaxing" but you need tension and stress on the bones and joints in order to keep them strong, floating in the water or using the floaties excessively will not force your body to use the water to your benefit. Relaxing in the water is great, I love it, but its not a workout. SO pull the water, when running or using floaties in the water try to move faster. This will be harder on the body in a good way and raise your heart rate and engage your muscles, challenging them. Don't fool yourself that the water itself is gonna make the difference, use the water "yourself" to make the difference! HAPPY SWIMMING!
No comments:
Post a Comment